About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Scarf with Hand Dyed Fabrics

You perhaps saw the earlier post on fabric dye and Elmer's Glue.  If not, you can see them here... and here!

I was inspired by a new book I purchased a month or so ago, and now just getting around to making a project from it.  The uathor is Malka Dubrawsky  who's style and color choices I very much admire!  Love the bright colors!  (go figure!) I also follow her blog.  It's called "Stitch in Dye."

Pictured below is the scarf project featured in her book, "Fresh Quilting."  
I decided to make the same scarf, only using my very own freshly made hand-dyed's. 

Fun!  It's a FAST project (who doesn't love that).  I came home Friday evening after a long week of reading thousands of jury questionnaires!  (That may be another post!  Jury Service anyone?!)  Anyway, I was very happy and excited to cut into my new fabrics, having cured for twenty-four hours, and previously steam-pressed to set the dye.
I put my Sizzix machine to work for me, to cut the fabric rectangles.  Perfect for this project.  Even though the width of these rectangles is slightly bigger, I think by maybe a 1/2" total... it was a sweet deal, I'm tellin' ya, to cut them out.  The die cuts two  rectangles, and I layered four to six fabrics on top of it, so I had these babies cut in a matter of about 90 seconds!  Yay!
Just start playing with the arrangement as you like.  I didn't get them 'perfect' - the project Malka writes features some of them 'off kilter' deliberately.



I'm really liking the fabric - very spring-like!  I used a blue hand-dyed velvet (silk rayon) for the back, but forgot to shoot a pic of it.  It's not so fun to work with, and since this is my proto-type, I didn't mind that it wasn't matched up perfectly.  The next one will be!  I finished off the scarf edges with an elongated 'triple straight stitch' - every Bernina has one.  Check it out on yours.
And here is the finished scarf.  It would look good on a model, but since I'm not one, and it's hard to take a picture of yourself (like I would WANT to!)... this will have to do!

And the fabulous button!  Gotta have a great button!  Tied with some extra Razzle Dazzle thread just for fun.  First,  did sew it on with my Bernina 318 "Button-Sew-On" foot.  Post coming on that someday soon!

Thanks for taking a look at my 'experiment.'  It will get more polished as I work out more details.  Got lots of ideas for some more... embellishment on this little gem.

Blessings and God's Peace to you on this Sunday!

1 comment:

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love how your scarf turned out...and the button detailing is perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...