About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Friday, April 8, 2011

Bernina Foot 10 for a CORDED Scalloped Edge

The unsung hero of feet!  The #10 Edgestitch foot! If you missed yesterday's post... check it out here!

A page from my "Feetures" Bernina foot book... a fabulous resource.
Did you know that you can get a free copy of the FEETURES book - VOLUME 1 with a purchase of the Walking Foot in the month of MAY?  There is a coupon in the latest Bernina "Through The Needle" -- (its FREE) -- the magazine from the Bernina website... check it out!  That is a $55.00 value or more... good in MAY only. You can subscribe to this mag via Bernina and they will email it to you in pdf format!
 Select the hem stitch; (Stitch #3) - I used a stitch width of 4.5" and a length of 4.0 as you can see on the screen shot. But you can adjust this as suits your project. 


I chose a favorite yarn, but any cord, yarn or thicker thread type will work. Choose a hem stitch...  make adjustments in width as needed... and you're on your way to a darling finish on edges of all kinds.

In the photo below, you can see that the yarn I chose is butted up to the blade... and the cord and the edge of the fabric need to come together next to the blade so that the hemstitch will stitch on the fabric, and then swing to the right to pick up the cord, and cause the cord/yarn to 'scallop.'



































This is my practice piece to 'warmup' with.


Take a few minutes to practice!  You will need to get the hang of guiding the cord as well as controlling the fabric feed, as you  feed it under the foot.  You want the cord to just barely touch, or 'collide' with the left hand side of the blade, as it gets fed underneath the foot, while it's stitching. You don't want it to go underneath the fabric as it won't show if that happens.
Write your stitch number, width and length dimensions on your sample for a great resource!

I doubled a piece of fabric, and doubled it again, so that I was working with enough fabric to create a thick edge to work with.

Take a peek below at what an UPSCALE and special look this technique adds to the edge finish on this darling and very simply made baby blanket using pretty flannels. Fabtanstic! (stitch #3, width 3.0 and length 3.0)
We took 1 1/4 yards of two pieces of flannel; round off the corners (use a dinner plate!)... then place right sides together, sew a 1/2" seam,  turn right side out and press, leaving an opening to turn.

And... I am going to finish some of my art quilts with this technique.

I am sure many of you have other wonderful ideas!



If so... I'd love to hear about them.  I hope you will contact me if you do!
Thanks for reading my blog!  I appreciate it!


4 comments:

Jean said...

I never miss your blog...look for it everyday and learn many wonderful techniques from you. Thank you.

Mary Ann & Mother said...

The flannel blankets look so nice! Does Janome offer this foot, I wonder? The free book deal from Bernina is sweet!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Jean, and Mary Ann...thanks to you both; that means everything to me, and I find it so encouraging to read your comments! Smiles and more!

Jeanine Designs said...

This is a really nice finish. Looking at your pictures, I had a thought. I wonder if a yarn guide could be fashioned out of a small section of a tiny straw, taped to the side of the guide blade? I must give that a try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...