About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Daisy Study with Acrylic Inks

Daisy Crazy, I am.  I love daisies, of almost any type, size, color or style, and I love to photograph them from my garden, too. I was really tickled to get this photo with the purple petunias blurred in the background.
I'd read about these inks, and I finally had some time to play with them.  They are Daler Rowney acrylic inks. 

 Wow.  They are a wonderful medium to play with.  Smooth, and no running!  Really.  I diluted them with water, about 50/50 with the ink.  Still... brilliant color!   Tell me what you think, or if you've tried them before...
The photo below is what the piece looks like after painting with the inks, using the daisy photo above as my inspiration.  I did a rough sketch, and then started painting.  No time for perfection... a girl's gotta start somewhere!
 And this is what it looks like now:
The petals and center lack depth... I wish I had done something more to accomplish shading on the petals, and in the orange center.  Will be playing with that technique again, though!


I used a combination of YLI threads, Superior Tri-Lobal rainbows, and King Tut Cottons, all in the top, loosening my top tension 1-2 levels.  I also used a 90/14 topstitch or metallic needle and Superior Threads Masterpiece (50 weight) cotton was my bobbin thread of choice.
 For the finish, I decided to try facing this little quilt, like I've read and seen how the 'big name' quilters are now doing out there in Quilt Land.   
 A bit rough ... and I didn't quite get the edge folded under in all the right places... but it was simple.  Right sides together, and turn.  A different look.  Do you like it this way, or should I have fashioned a traditional binding?  I'm ready to do... MORE!
  

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love your little daisy quilt!

Chris Daly said...

So beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...