About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Stuffed Ornaments

Basic.  And... very simple. 

And simply hand made! 

Christmas ornaments!
I love the handmade look!  

I began with a circle, which I traced from my miniature handy-dandy color-wheel which is always within reach of my cutting and sewing worktable, next to my machine.  Of course, you can choose any circle shape you want.  A cup, or a very small plate for instance.

I then placed a piece of batting under one side of the fabric circle, and added a piece of loosely-cut fabric (and an extra piece for color and interest), in the shape of a rectangle, on top of the fabric circle, making sure it fit within the confines of the circle shape, and quilted it with a single word:  LOVE.   and SHINE. 
But what about a child's name, loved one, or friend, or any other JOYFUL description based words you might  think of!?   Hmmm... 'words for thought' I think! 

I also went around the 'word frame'  with a loosey-sketchy frame of stitching, just to add a bit of emphasis and accent. You're probably tired of me saying so, but I used King Tut 40 wt thread, as it has more presence, (and I love it!).  And I also added stars in the first picture, using GLITTER in silver. (Yay!)


Then add your backing fabric. I used the same print as the front. Then I stitched the perimeter of the circle pieces together, using a very 'rough' zig zag stitch --- just like they say on the food cooking shows (which I love to watch!) --- 'give it a rough chop'  --- well, that's what I did with the zig zag stitch! 


Now stuff it with some loose fiberfill -- the amount depends on your personal preference for 'stuffiness' shall we say?!!!  Of course, leave an opening in the top and use your glue stick to establish a place for the ribbon or hanger before you close it up.  You could add this at the last minute if you forget... it has a countryside touch, don't ya know!

And stitch it again, securing the opening closed.  Keep it simple, and keep it fun!  


And think about other shapes as well.  Instead of a rectangle on the front of the ornament, what about a heart shape? I bet... you can think of LOTS more variances... all of them simply handmade, and charmingly, SIMPLE!


EnJOY!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Very Cute!

elle said...

These are cute. I actually like the raw edging on these. Oh my T0-do list! It just keeps growing. lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...