About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pretty Pictures

Merry Christmas!  I thought these pretty colors were very festive and am excited to share some new pics I've taken.
These pictures represent some practicing I've been doing with my new camera, the Canon Rebel T3i.  My original quilt, "Northern Lights" has been really fun to use as the subject.  If you click on the link above, you can see the old, dull, and somewhat lifeless pictures I took a year ago, compared to what I have learned to do now!  And... I won't be taking those 'odd angled' pics, which looks like the whole plane of field is tilting as if we were falling off a cliff... Oops!  No more of those type of shots.  I used the 35-55 mm lens that came with the camera, and the macro setting.  It also helps if you can balance the camera super steady using a tripod, or in this case, the coffee table!
What a difference!  I can easily change the position of my focus, love the shall depth of field, and the sparkly light circles I can get now, by just playing around with light.  Although it can be difficult to get good light in the winter climate, I usually jump on the chance when the bright, diffused light comes into the living room.  I get some shadows from the window frame... so it's not perfect, just a great way to practice taking photos that, well... glow.  Which is what I'm after!  I want my pictures to reflect the beauty of the colors, lines, and creative stitching I've worked hard to achieve.  It's a disappointment when the pictures fall flat...
And I'm tickled to finally be able to take a picture I'm proud to have displayed on my new business cards.  Creative and colorful!  I really like the angle of the 'lines' of the ribbons and fibers.  Reminds me of a waterfall.

This is really nothing but a leftover piece of my ribbon scarf, pieced into some hand-dyed fabric, and made into a quilt. You can read more about how I created this piece by going to the post, clicking here!
So what do you think of my new pics?  Well, I'm off to decorate the tree, and do some Christmas baking!  

EnJOY!

7 comments:

Jan said...

I've always thought your photography skills are superb but after I checked out the link to your earlier photo, I see you have improved since then. Well done!

Sandy said...

Your photograpy is fantastic, and you will love your new Canon T3, what a difference in sharpness,light,and focus! Fantastic quilting and I love the ribbon scarf. I want to learn to make one! You make sewing so adventurous! Thank you for sharing your photo experiences too!

Gaileann said...

As always you do amazing things with that camera, I love all the sparkly colors. I love this piece , know you have a lot of hours invested in it.

Margaret Applin said...

I love those macro shots!!! Especially the way the closer images turn into little balls of shiny colors!!!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Are you kidding me? Your photos were fab before-now even better! I enjoy your blog immensely.

Lynn said...

I love my Canon T2i we got last year about this time. I know I really need to learn more about it to get the photos I imagine in my head but it takes good shots on auto too.

elle said...

Your business cards are gonna sing! I'm learning digital elements this coming year. I'll embrace photography next year! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...