About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ahh ~ How Sweet It Is to Screen Print!

With some of my Christmas $ - I bought a few screens from Margaret Applin, on her Etsy shop!

 And I have to tell you ~ this screening stuff was ALOT of fun for me.  I had the funnest Saturday just playing, making messes, and printing fabric every which way but loose! 
 Using the screen that features old fashioned hand writing (it's not meant to be readable), I mixed some green paint together, and think this is the just the right addition to the pink fabric base previously printed with the Gelli plate.  And I like it very much!  And so I brought out my the antique lace stash, received from my MIL a couple years ago... and decided it was going to be a part of this piece, too.  A bit of old and new... borrowed and blue! Just like going to a sewing studio wedding!
 It's stored in the coolest box - actually it's a Walt Whitman candy box from the 1960's!  

And finally, I remembered to take a picture of the doilie that inspired this piece to begin with. I spread Decolourant on my Gelli printing plate, and then pressed this doilie into it, laid my pink fabric on top, and the print you see in this piece (above) is what started this whole ball rolling!  Note:  It's sitting on some fabric I also played with; using lime green Decolourant and my rubber stamps.  Fun!
 And then, I added purple-blue piece of my hand-dyed fabric, screened with another thermofax screen I purchased from Margaret, added to the top as a border.  The remainder of the piece is seen below, as well as the pretty ribbon, and knit lace fabric I embellished it with.
 I am so doggone excited about it!!  Love this white screen print on the purple-blue... and I think it's just the right amount of 'pop' accent! I screened it and then cut it to fit my top piece of fabric. 
 Fabric close-up called for: it's so DANG COOL!!!  
Beautiful and inspiring. 
I had the best time!
I didn't realize it wasn't completely dry (go figure!) so part of the white shows on the pink, (bottom left of picture) and this happened when I sewed it on.  This doesn't bother me in the least -- just thought I'd tell ya in case you are wondering! 
 I also used this piece of fabric to finish off one of the blue snowflake pieces, one of which will be given away in my monthly "Blog Love" for January. Another post for another day ~ soon!  As well as all the other fabric I printed yesterday!  Wow! Too soon the weekend is over, and I am back to teaching on Monday nights at the Bernina store tomorrow... so it will be awhile before I have enough time to do more, but it was a BLAST!
There's no snow in Great Falls... it's been an incredibly mild and warm, and (WINDY) winter... so I'm happily creating a few snowflakes in my studio with fabric.  No need to cuddle up with these!

Have a great week!
Thanks for 'popping' in to see my newest adventure! 
Be sure to check out Margaret's inspiring blog, too:  

EnJOY! 
XO
Leslie

4 comments:

Margaret Applin said...

OHhhhhhh, I see them!!! I love that pattern on the purple fabric!! I can't wait to see more! FABULOUS!!

HollyM said...

Wow, I just read your wonderful post. I love looking at all your pictures and your progress on that piece. I must say I am envious as I sort of looked longingly at some of those screens of Margarets. We are doing 30 days of cash only so I can't order anything.
I love what you did though. I like both screens but the 2nd one I had really liked.

Jan said...

It is fun watching this piece come along. I had to jump over to the etsy site, might just have to order something over there, I so like that script screen! Just today I scanned and printed out some Bulgarian writing from my Grandfathers hand, I will use it in my journaling.

Cathy H said...

Love your work.....I don't know where you get the time and the ideas.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...