About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Heartful Finish

Several weeks ago, I posted about my Graffiti styled fabric, painted with acrylic paints, applied via the bubble wrap... and some fun writing with a large Sharpie pen. This is how it began:

I was tired of moving this piece around in my studio, wondering what it should be.  So... it was time to 'cut-it-up!'  A dance party with my scissors... but no need to cut a rug! 

Ribbon selections:
Finished with a zig zag stitch on the edges...
And wildly quilted in plain black thread.
Further embellishment with Jones Tones silver, copper and gold foil...

This fabric was heavily painted and dyed to begin with, when I began by applying the Jacquard Dye-na-flow paint/dye.  Then the further addition of the acrylic paint using the bubble wrap as a print.  That made this fabric a challenge - one in which the needle didn't always penetrate well, even tho I used a 90/14 Titanium Topstitch needle (from Superior Threads).  But I kept at it.  I'm determined that way.  And mostly it worked out, and when it didn't... I traveled that road again!  And it worked just fine; some of the zigs missed... but I'm okay with it.  It goes with the graffiti style!

For now.
All of the hearts are backed with cardstock, for durability and stability.  They are great as bookmarks, graduation or anytime gifts or thank-you's.  They are wild - but that is precisely the point!  ALOT of fun!
Orange and red are hard colors to photograph.  They tend to look garish-like. 

Although I am a little tired of hearts... having this piece of fabric result in a finished project(s) feels dang good!!
Praises for another project that crossed the FINISH LINE! YAY YAY YAY!
What are you planning to finish today?
JUST ~~~ Begin!
SOLI DEO GLORIA

31 comments:

elle said...

These are different from your usual but still very cool. Do you glue the cardstock onto the back or do you stitch the edge through it? I am trying to figure where a day went. Awry, thats for sure. Should I finish some small thing or grab a book and wonder what if...

HollyM said...

I love your energy and exuberance! I planned to finish an improvisational baby quilt, but didn't quite. Next time.

voodoo vixen said...

Love your hearts, do you put the chipboard inside the material and then sew around it? Annette #22

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...these are just loVely...all of them...i'm a bit of a heart 'freak' myself and I have them all over my home...great work, beautiful stitching you talented lady...Mel :)

CraftygasheadZo said...

Great makes. Take care & enjoy this weeks snoop of WOYWW desks. Zo xx 77

Franka Benjaminsen said...

These hearts are gorgeous. Love all these vibrant colours and the free motion stitching. I'm a quilter too and working with free motion and art quilt are one of the items I want to learn. Yours looks great. You find a few quilt posts on my blog, because I have this stamp madness too (LOL). Thanks for sharing. Bye, Franka

May said...

Stunning work, Wow!! those hearts are fantastic... you clever lady, Have a great week, Hugs May x x x x No14.... just clicked to follow your blog fab work x x x

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Hi Anette -- thank you! I back the hearts with scrapbooking-type cardstock. It's the last step before stitching the outer edges with a zig zag stitch. That way people who give them (or receive them!) can write on them, also.

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you, Mel... appreciate it!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Nice to meet you - have enjoyed taking a look around WOYWW!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you Franka! I enjoyed having you! I would love to take a look on your blog - see you there!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you May! They're a little different for me, but fun anyway! Thanks for following; it's great to have you here! XO

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

If only I had a bit more! LOL. Yours will finish in good time, I am sure, Holly, and will be very cool, I know! Thanks so much ~ XO

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Yes, they take a little getting used to! Out of the 'zone' but a good exercise in going beyond that box I put myself in! I don't glue the cardstock, but very, very lightly with a gluestick, just enough so I can stitch it without it slipping. Thanks doll! XO

Lunch Lady Jan said...

What a fab idea - I loved the end result! I would never have thought of all the details you've put on there, but it's so clever and effective :)
Hugs, LLJ #74 xx

trisha too said...

Joyful pieces, Leslie!

:)trisha
#41

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

thank you Jan! It is a fun idea... and pretty darn simple, to boot! It was great having you --- come back again!!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you Trisha - loved having you! come back again! :) Blessings~

fairy thoughts said...

hi there
I love these hearts, they remind me of graffiti. lovely rich colours
janet happy WOYWW
janet #16

Spyder said...

I@m guessing this is woyww, but only coz of the comments, sorry if it isn't, whizzing round to see what's going on! Love the hearts, Thank you for my snoop!Have a great crafty week. HaPpY WoYwW!

((Lyn)) #19...I think!! vwery looooooooooooooooon word code! third try!

angela walters said...

What a neat idea!! I love it!!!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you so much for stopping in! It was great fun to read your comment!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thanks Angela! Believe me, it wasn't planned! But that is exactly what makes it so much FUN!!! Thank you for letting me know!!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thanks so much... trying to figure it all out! So appreciate you stopping by; what a sweet treat!

Queen Of Toys said...

I have just finished cataloging some new stamps that I have had laying around since last year. Been using them just not catalogued.

Lovely hearts, so bright and beautiful

Eliza

Tracy said...

Hi Lesley - such great art work. i am so not creative so its great to find sites like yours where one can ogle all the great works. Thanks for linking up on Winsome Wednesday. I hope to see you there next week :)
God bless
Tracy

ells said...

hi neighbor...wow...i love to see others creative juices flow...I admire those who God has gifted with such creativity. Very cool idea...blessings to you.

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Howdy! Thank you~~I appreciate it, and I'm very grateful for the encouragement!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you Eliza - have fun with the stamping; hope to see some more!

SophieNewton said...

Fabulous stuff, great workspace, thanks for sharing x
Sophie no.183

Neesie said...

What a brilliant idea. Very effective.
Thanks for letting me take a peek even though I'm so late.
Have a great weekend Neesie #30

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...