About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Jamaican Smiles

Although not one of my older projects, this is one begun this past January. I guess I kind of lost interest as I started the quilting in the center blocks, but didn't know what to do next.  Same old story, huh!  Anyway, I was motivated to move it off the shelf. 
 This square runner features stamping from my "Jamaican" styled flower stamp, carved last summer, which I used in lots of postcards.  (Still have some of those to finish, too!)  It also features one of my favorite things to free motion ~  a free motion zig zag, which I describe as the 'confetti' stitch.  When I taught a free motion class recently, I showed it to my students, using this piece to demonstrate it in class.  It's a very simple thing.  Fun!  Happy.  Colorful.  Easy to do.  I basically switch from a straight stitch, to a zig zag, free motion, and back and forth.  It's quite seamless with temporary altered stitch memory on Bernina machines.  Once the stitch width is set for the zig zag, it is just a matter of one touch on the button or screen, and going back and forth!
 Also, the stamped blocks are pieced with gold fabric, in which the center block has these words quilted, around the perimeter, with a flower in the center:
"She who trusts in God can do all things."
 It will be listed in my Etsy shop, soon!
 The outside border is hand dyed fabric I bought from Laura Wasilowski, of Artfabrik.com, several years ago.
And now it's finished!  Happy sigh!
 Thank you for stopping in.  Have a great Thursday!
XO
Leslie

9 comments:

patchouli moon studio said...

Beautiful colors and so cheerful. I love the quilting too. What kind of quilting thread do you use?

Kathleen said...

Beautiful quilting! As usual, I love everything about it. I also love your watercolor quilt. I did one of those years back. I think I gave it to my aunt.

elle said...

Wow, it absolutely glows!

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

Thank you! I used Superior Threads brand, a 100% polyester called "Rainbows" which is a 40 weight, variegated thread. I also used the same type of thread in a solid color, which is called "Art Studios" (and they may be discontinuing Art Studios soon). I used Superior's Masterpiece cotton in the bobbin.

HollyM said...

What a stunning piece! Your free motion work is so special! I love your confetti stitch and I love the stamped section! I like to use stamps a lot too!

╰☆╮ Barb ╰☆╮ said...

I have to share something with you that you may find amusing: my brain is becoming warped. When I look at photos such as yours, I take my finger and try to trace the quilting lines of the pattern, so I can get a feel for how it was quilted. This habit is becoming quite annoying, because in the space of a small photograph, I can't really see the entire line of quilting. But I guess I'm really trying to train my brain to 'think' like a quilter. I do love the precision in your quilting - excellent!

LuAnn Kessi said...

Love those colors Leslie! They are so yummy. Your quilting is FUN!
Thanks for the inspiration,
LuAnn
luannkessi.blogspot.com

niveas said...

I love your quilt! it's such a colorful beauty!

Kati said...

Wow, that quilting is amazing! Thanks for linking up to Slash the Stash!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...