About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Artsy Summer Flower ~

You may remember my post featuring this quilted flower, (see here), which was screen printed using Margaret Applin's thermofax screens
Once printed, I heat-set it, and then with right sides together, faced it with batting, and another layer of fabric.  I stitched around the perimeter,  in the shape of the flower, (leaving an opening), trimmed my seams and corners, turned it right side out, and pressed it.  I free motion quilted it prior to attaching it to the quilt top. It was quilted with variegated thread, and then black thread, which was King Tut from Superior Threads.
I used a Crafters Workshop Stencil that had 'random-like' words on it, and used a couple different colors of acrylic paints, and added this to the background fabric.  Heat-set to cure.
I added some bobbin quilting, angelina, and other little trimmings of fabric for grass, toward the bottom of this piece, using my wavy rotary cutter.

Free motion quilting... simple, 'free' and a few flowers here and there...
 I wanted to add something to the sides, a bit on the 'wonky' or uneven look... adding color and texture, but not to take away from the main attraction of the screen-printed flower.  I decided to take leftover snow-dyed fabric (from Chris Daly~ love love her snow dyes!), and fold narrow little strips, which were attached with a straight stitch, and the backing was then just folded over and stitched down. It's definitely wonky.  And I like it!
Also, forgot to mention that I added a few more screen prints at the bottom of the background fabric. Love that pattern. 

Just for fun.

Because I can!

EnJOY~Soli Deo Gloria!

5 comments:

elle said...

Wonky inserts are a nice element.

Gill said...

Fabulous! I love it!

Donna and George said...

I love the rich colors Leslie. It's gorgeous!
D~~~~

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Delightful! I love all the bright colours and swirls, beautiful work.

Beth said...

I absolutely LOVE your blog. Found my way here by a pin of your fabulous Art on Pinterest. You are so talented! Love all of your Works of Art! And I would Love to live in Montana! One of my most favorite states in the US. So glad I found your blog!

Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...