About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Turkey Talkin Placemats ~

it's the tuesday turkeys! love fall.  love sewing n' quilting.  love turkey {yum} ~ and now ~ make that turkey-talkin' placemats!  
basically all that is required for quilting is a straight line of stitching.  i chose to engage the dual feed mechanism on my bernina 830, using an open toe foot bernina #20D {"d" is for dual feed in bernina land}.  a walking foot would also be just great. you can choose to do it free motion, too, or with any other regular stitching foot of your choice.
i don't like 'perfect' straight lines, so this pattern is perfect.  and I just had fun zippin' along my merry way; but decided to change out my normal stitch plate {pic below} and switch in my straight-stitch plate.  that way i get a real nice, straight stitch.  it just looks better, and eliminates any of that wobbly-stitch-look that might happen with the straight-line stitching i was doing.
especially with a 9mm wide stitch width opening.  there's lots more 'give' in the fabric and needle movement of the straight stitch with that stitch plate.  this is a tip i share when teaching mastery classes at bernina, too.  want a better stitch when piecing?  a straight-stitch plate will help.
i picked superior threads, beginning with king tut 40 wt, and i used isacord polyester 40 wt in the bobbin.  works smooth as silk {but it's not silk} and i loved the slight variegated look from king tut that 'fades in and out' on this cool plaid fabric which is the background
for a little extra pizazz, i changed out {for just a few stitching lines down and across} to a superior thread rainbow tri-lobal poly in purple-blue for some fall-color lovin'.  {love it with the brown} i did the other one with some rainbows pinks - {love it too}
if you've been following my blog for awhile, you already know i'm not much about traditional fabrics.  i dig contemporary for the most part.  i love traditional ~ but i rarely make it.  {but if anyone wanted to give me a quilt that was all about traditional ~ hey, i wholeheartedly raise my hand and scream wildly "pick me ~ pick me!"}
but i dig these charming little floral prints.  and when i saw the kit ~ i knew it was the only way i was going to be interested in finishing these cute turkeys. the work was done for me ~ and i love laura's style, anyway ~ these fabrics are so adorable.  for $80 you got the kit, including enough fabric for backing and binding.  the kit makes 8 placemats. the pattern was $10 
it wasn't a whole lot of fun to cut 100 {be patient} of those feathers ~ each turkey takes eleven feathers
but i stuck with it. 
{i can be 'plucky' that way}
something else i don't do too much of  is hand stitching.  love, love, love the look of it... but i just don't have enough hand strength and not nearly enough time.  so i free motioned those details for eyes, beak, red stuff, and his legs.  hand stitching would be totally adorable, tho.
i got two of 'em done.  and i'm turkey-talkin' happy about that!  i timed myself too ~ took about 15-20 minutes to quilt each mat.  not bad. {doesn't count fusing, cutting, binding and finishing time}
i did a simple, bias binding from striped fabric.  love that look, too. i left myself plenty of binding on the back, as I 'stitched in the ditch' from the front to get 'em finished easy and quick.
in most circumstances, i like a hand-stitched binding best... but again - time is the deal here, and since these will be washed, this kind of sturdy stitching will endure. 
I recently posted about finding this adorable pattern, and the kit I purchased for it on September 25th.  You can re-visit that post to see pictures of both.  The pattern is an original creation by quilter and fabric designer, Laura Heine, who owns Fiberworks, a spectacular quilt store in Billings, MT.  {you will love this store} {and no I wasn't paid or given a 'deal' for this review ~ laura doesn't know who i am even} she has a wonderful website as well.  Click here!

whatdayathink?  are they cute or what?

so cute cute CUTE!  {two down... six more to go!}  i have listed these two in my etsy shop, fyi.  i may make more ... but the rest will be for our own table here at home.

EnJoY ~ thanks for stoppin' in!  {GOBBLE GOBBLE!}

8 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

How perfect for the season!!! I love turkey decorations and I may have to give these a try. Even one would be sweet as a small table topper!

Vicki W said...

They are so cute!

elle said...

They are cute. I like hand stuff but time is hard to find so machine finishes are great. You are definitely talking the kind of turkey I understand!

Donna@soakinginmustard.com said...

Your place mats are wonderful and round and full of charm and character.

Jenni C's said...

oh i do so like your gobble gobble place mats....

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Oh my goodness... YES, cute!!!

Barb N said...

You want to talk turkey, eh? Great design and your table will look wonderful!

allan lim said...

The finish product is done. It's so facsinating and the color combination are just right. Nicely done. I love it.

sydney hummer hire

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...