About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Monday, February 4, 2013

February ~ "Heart's Afire" ~

Hello friends; Happy Monday!

Here's my prelude to "March Madness" ~ Heart Madness! {lol} what do you think?  While it's not March, it's time for hearts!  Even tho I love watching college basketball, and especially "March Madness." Playing basketball was a major factor in keeping me focused, and motivated in my high school years.  I went on to play college ball {in Montana} for a couple years, and still love to watch this game!  {Go MSU Bobcats Women's Team!}  
My little bit of playtime began with these stencils.  Did you notice they seem to be the hot new art supply, this year?
These two  designed by my friend, designer-extraordinare, Margaret Applin.
I've replenished my supply of s.e.i. tumble dyes, and ... several hours, and lots of messy hands and fingernails, later, here are my results...
 Bright!  {pretty} SPRING colors.  I can't seem to do much of anything else, these days! 
 And today, we actually have lots of sunshine, melting snow and ice, a light, fresh breeze, and a {hint} of spring in the air!
 My biggest challenge?  Staying focused from printing to printing!  I get so excited about the color play... that I forget what I'm spraying sometimes.
 But even so... when things get a little sloppy with the build up of spray on the stencil, there is no 'bad' print; not in my playbook!
 These are all winners, but I like the one above, where it shows a hint of shadowing in the negative space.  BUT!  I love this 'blue n white' print below {lots!}.
 You can see where the white fabric is a 'white on white' print... lovely texture underneath... but very subtle.
 And then this one! Again, I not only love the fun, upbeat spring pastel palette, but the hint of shadow in the background of the negative space.
 Then... a surprise twist of boldness and high contrast ~ I think I like this one best!

 While I'm not sure where these yummy little hearts will go in another project, I have one big question for ya'll:  which one do you like best?  Have any of you tried Margaret's new line of stencils, yet?

I have a couple ideas for making some collages, or artsy quilts with these... but my weekend, as fabulous as it was, is done!  

Have a great week, everyone!  Salute ~ Baltimore Ravens! Coach Harbaugh is a class act, as is Ray Lewis. 

6 comments:

Gill said...

I love your hearts Leslie!
I'm going to look at Margaret's stencils and see what the postage is to the UK!!

Lynn said...

Those are cute stencils - you always make such nice fabrics with all your experimenting. Thanks for sharing.

elle said...

I like the softness of the first one. But I really like the soft edges you are getting so the heart is not totally outlined. good stuff

HollyM said...

I think I agree with you on my favourites. I've seen a few different stencils out there lately but I think Margaret's are the best! I love everything she does. It will be fun to see what you do with these.
I don't have any spray paints though I've improvised with spray bottles and fabric paints. I may have to order some.
It does look like lots of fun!

Margaret Applin said...

Oh MY GOSH!!! How cute are those!!!! You definitely know how to make them POP!!!!

Sheila said...

They are all lovely but my favorite is the third from the end , just really love the colors in that one. Thanks for sharing !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...