About Me

My Photo
Great Falls, Montana, United States
I love creating art. I love the Creator! And through that love, I find a little slice of heaven on earth and I give Him all the glory! It's a great adventure and I'm excited to see what's around the bend! Come join me, won't you?

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

feathery stencil play from patsy thompson ~

hi all!

i've been wanting to play with some of patsy thompson's stencils for awhile now, and finally the right time came along, so I snatched up a couple when she had a sale last month.  the particular stencil below has been on my wish list a long time... isn't it pretty?
i used my favorite chalk "sewline" pen to mark the fabric.  I don't usually mark for feathers, but this has a 'perfect circle' as the center i did not want to mess up!  and a bit more of a complex design than i was used to, and it proved to be really easily done than i'd expected!
and the stitching begun:
i  wasn't sure what colors of thread to apply when i chose this brown hand-dyed fabric... but i decided to {be brave} and began with a periwinkle blue magnifico thread from superiorthreads.com  and then a pink for the second round:
and a lighter pink for some highlights:
i think i like it.  it's different.  a bit unusual, perhaps.


i was a little intimidated by the complexity of this pattern at first, but after choosing my two main thread colors, and studying it for a few minutes first, and then 'ghost-traced' it with my fingers for my first couple thread paths. {how da ya like that new term 'ghost-traced?'} lol. then all yi needed to do was execute, which was as simple as skip, repeat, skip ~ repeat!

then i'll do backfil quilting in a dark chocolate brown, and bind it up for a nice little sample or decorative table topper... will show it when it's finished.

i love this stencil, and i'm anxious to try it again, and perhaps... even one day... make a larger quilt with it?   

the back burner is getting full again...

xo














12 comments:

BlissfulSandy said...

Ghost tracing..now there is something I never heard of, and yet I think about how would colors work with each other and never thought about your ghost technique...I do love the colors, and of course your beautiful designs. I think I will try this using a stencil too, and maybe I will like my practice work, rather than just practicing on plain ole muslin quilted sandwiches. Very pretty and it has such a warm cozy feel to it! yummy, are you serving hot chocolate with that? Beautiful Lesie Girl!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh how fun!! I didn't know she sells stencils - just one more thing to put on my never-ending list of stuff I want to buy! Since I became a quilter, I'm worse than my kids EVER were about "I want that!"

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Beautiful and I love your color choices for the stitching....xox

Val Spiers said...

Lovely work. Your coloured thread quilting always looks amazing. I haven't seriously considered stencils yet but using that one as a feature design is a good idea. I will look more closely at the stencils next time I go to a craft show.

Terri Stegmiller said...

That is GORGEOUS!!!

Phyl said...

I love Patsy and I love you! Your blog is my number one source of inspiration. Which pencil color do you use and how do you remove the lines? Thank you.
Phyl

Karen said...

I love Patsy's designs and you did a wonderful job on this Leslie. I must say - even though I'm an AuriGirl... I might have to give those Superior Threads a try. See how my Janome likes them. Your work is always so beautiful and inspiring. Thanks so much.

Jane Wetzel said...

this is beautiful! love stencils and I guess I hadn't thought of this...wow!

Laceflower said...

Patsy's stencil does look quite complicated but, as you discovered, broken down into its parts it is very do-able. Hardest part is picking the thread colours, at least it is for me. Beautiful job

Rosa said...

Awesome!!.I handquilting and use stencil to do it.

kim davis said...

Truly awesome! I still afraid to try this! However, I am more than content to look at the beautiful work you do!

kim davis said...

Truly awesome! I still afraid to try this! However, I am more than content to look at the beautiful work you do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...